Monday, October 08, 2007

2006 Distinguished Teaching Award- Dr. Laszlo

According to Poly Post, "A memorial service was held on Feb. 1 for computer science professor Peter Alan Laszlo who died Jan. 19 of pneumonia at age 65. 'He was the best teacher,' said Chung Lee, a computer science professor.' " Being always a slightly esoteric instructor, the median score for all quizzes were zero. In my recall of Dr. Laszlo, he would rant statements of how were were with ridiculous, academic statements. His explanations were never off-the-wall, and always useful to my highest level of interest.

We were always taking granted for his teaching style, loving his intractable general knowledge. With Dr. Laszlo being a Cal Tech allumni, I always felt confounded by his presence. Looking back, there was a sense of commitment in him. A type of sacrifice that could be easily adorned by his admirers. He reminded me of a drill instructor who would advocate our transpiring of working beyond the classroom textbook. His friendliness and aggressiveness in teaching made him stand out the greatest among the faculty. I would have been honored to enroll in all CS courses with him.

Despite his passing, I think Dr. Laszlo should be honored before his forgotton. He is a legacy that should not be ignored by Cal Poly history. His tone has greatly defined the values of committment and concern to his students. Having been an officer two years in a row with a great refined CS Club, it was lovely to see him make an appearance. I proudly stand behind the belief that making Peter a recepient will send flaming smoke in the center of our universe: Dan-jum (Korean Martial Art). His remembrance will greatly inspire thsoe wishing to achieve status as a scholar. I can guarantee you that every student he had, shared a wonderful bond and a little extra push to excellence.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just sharing my thoughts and don't expect much out of it with everybody. It's really fun for me to just write about anything that's on my mind. I know some people will know who I am in person because I've had my real name up so long.