Friday, September 01, 2006

Basic Probability Proof

Purpose: This is a basic proof of probability of two events, just in case you were wondering. I will show the proof of why you multiply the numerators and denominators.

Let









Formula:









Proof:

We are dealing with two events.

Probability means total expected(desired) outcomes over total outcomes.

only expected outcomes -----------> pA(1st) pB(2nd)
total outcomes --------------------->qA(1st) qB(2nd)

Count them up!




(Enlarge diagram by clicking it)







Figure 1 reflects the well-taught Counting Principle, which just means to multiply for deducting totals.

All possible pA and pB events = pA [1st pairing] + pA [2nd pairing] + ... pA [last pairing] =
( pB [total pairings] )( pA) = pA * pB

Similarly,

Total outcomes = qA * qB

This proves P(A and B) = (pA *pB) / (qA * qB).

Quick Discussion:

Common misconception is to add two independent events, but you can't because they are separate.

Ex. Let P(A) = 9/10 and P(B) = 3/10. Adding gives you 6/5. The numerator cannot go over the denominator.

Total probability never exceeds one!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just sharing my thoughts and don't expect much out of it with everybody. It's really fun for me to just write about anything that's on my mind. I know some people will know who I am in person because I've had my real name up so long.